For many years, Lummi House of Tears Carvers has been creating healing Totem Poles that journey to communities across the nation. Each Totem Pole is carved with a message and a prayer for a special circumstance within a given community. The Totem Pole is then taking on a journey, making stops along the way for others to imbue it with their prayers, blessings and hopes. Each blessing stop brings together social justice organizations, environmental groups, diverse faith communities, public servants and concerned individuals in a time of deep reflection. Since 2013, the Totem Poles have focused on those communities being impacted by the fossil fuel industry and it’s negative impact on our air, water, land and our human and natural communities. UU individuals and congregations across the nation have been invited to and participated in blessing stops that journey into their communities in the U.S. and Canada.
- 2013 to Tsleil Waututh, Vancouver British, Columbia, Canada
- 2014 Beaver Lake Cree Nation, Alberta Province, Canada
- 2015 Northern Cheyenne, Montana, U.S.
- 2016 Winnipeg, Manitoba Province, Canada
- 2017 Totem Pole Journey, Natural Museum of History Tour, U.S.
- 2018 Tokitae Totem Pole Journey, Miami, Florida, U.S.
- 2018 Bears Ears Totem Pole Journey, Bears Ears National Monument, Utah, U.S.