Starting with the premise “the Green New Deal manifests key UU values — both “the interdependent web” and “justice, equity, and compassion”— the UUA passed an Action of Immediate Witness (AIW) on June 22, 2019 at the General Assembly in Spokane, Washington. Among the actions that UUA recommended:
- Network with UU state action networks, national groups like UUJEC [UUs for a Just Economic Community], UUMFE [UU Ministry for the Earth], and UUSJ [UUs for Social Justice, the DC group], or sign up at www.createclimatejustice.net.
- Participate in the Sept. 15-17, 2019, conference in Washington, DC, on a Green New Deal” (www.uujec.com/gndconference);
- Form alliances with local groups working on aspects of a Green New Deal or national supporters like The Sunrise Movement, Extinction Rebellion, 350.org, The Sierra Club, Friends of the Earth, We Are Still In, Citizens Climate Lobby;
- Obtain background information from groups like The Post Carbon Institute, Data for Progress, Inside Climate News, Peoples Policy Project, Oil Change International;
- Organize congregational projects that align with the Green New Deal;
- Actively support the development of federal legislation to implement the Green New Deal as envisioned in H.Res. 109.
The full text of the AIW can be found at https://www.uua.org/sites/live-new.uua.org/files/proposed_aiws.pdf