Goals of the Tour:
- Build relationships between UU Ministry for Earth & UU communities in Oregon and Washington
- Inspire and uplift Unitarian Universalist action for climate justice; catalyze the UU movement to Create Climate Justice
- Build UU awareness & support for Levi Draheim and his climate lawsuits
- Raise funds to support UUMFE’s Summer and Fall 2019 program goals
- Collaboratively create climate/eco-artwork that culminates in beautiful worship and “ Procession of Species ” at the 2019 UUA General Assembly (and then continues to grow for an even bigger ceremony in 2020)
Spend an [afternoon/evening] with UU Ministry for Earth, featuring three special multi-generational guest speakers.
At 11 years old, Levi is the youngest plaintiff of the Juliana v US federal youth climate lawsuit. Levi is also suing the State of Florida for failure to take meaningful climate action. Levi lives in Satellite Beach, Florida, and attends the UU Church of Brevard, where his mother Leigh-Ann serves as a Director of Religious Education. (Photo by Robin Loznak)
As Program Director for UU Ministry for Earth, Aly is working to galvanize and support powerful, liberatory UU community action for climate justice.
Aly joined the climate justice movement in 2012, as a part of the campaign to stop the construction of the KXL pipeline through Oklahoma and East Texas. Aly lives in Austin, Texas. In her free time, she volunteers to support numerous social movements and a permaculture food forest on public parkland.
Leonard is perhaps best known for shutting down the Spectra Express pipeline in Montana as one of five “valve turners” who simultaneously shut down all of the pipelines carrying Canadian tar sands oil into the U.S. on October 11, 2016. Leonard lives in Eugene, Oregon. He serves as a Board Member of the UU Ministry for Earth and is also actively involved with numerous climate organizations and movements, including Climate Direct Action, Extinction Rebellion, and 350-Eugene.
- June 4-6 – First Unitarian, Portland, OR
- June 9th – UU Church on Eugene, OR (10 a.m. service and 12-noon presentation)
- If you are able, please join us at one of these events:
- June 9th, UU Church in Eugene, OR, 10 am worship service, 11:30 am after-church potluck, 12-12:45 presentation, 12:45-3 pm art build with eco-muralist Esteban Camacho-Steffensen, multi-media artist Patti Warner, and UUMFE Program Director Aly Tharp.
- June 10th, UU Fellowship of Corvallis, OR – 6:30 potluck and 7:30 presentation
- June 14th, Bellingham UU Fellowship, Bellingham, WA, 6:30 potluck and 7:30 presentation
- June 15th, East Shore Unitarian Church, Bellvue, WA, 11 am – 12:30 pm potluck and presentation, followed by a carpool/caravan to the Lummi Totem Pole Journey event in Seattle at 1 pm
- June 16th, University Unitarian Church, Seattle WA, 10 am worship service, 11:15-12:30 pm presentation
- June 16th, Woodinville UU Church, 3-4:30 eco-art build, 4:30 – 6 pm presentation, 6-7 pm potluck
To connect with others who cannot join us along the tour route, we will be posting videos and updates on the UU Ministry for Earth Facebook page and website so that you can follow along from home! Please also consider contributing out the Catalyze the UU Climate Justice Movement Faithify fundraising campaign!