These are some of the EDI tools compiled at our Summit in 2018 by Cynthia Good, MS, CDE, CATSM and Kyana Wheeler, MEd, MPA. There are many, many tools available, but this will help get you started.
Things to do and questions to answer
- Watch for and counter cognitive dissonance
- Nurture a long-term view of and commitment to you and your organization’s anti-oppression development
- Intentionally and routinely look inward
- How does socialization affect you and your organization’s social justice work?
- How do your intersecting identities grant or deny you access to power, opportunity,and resources?
- How do different levels of privilege/oppression manifest in you and your organization?
- What intention-impact gaps do I see in you and your organization’s social justice work?
- Take responsibility for regularly learning more about systems of privilege/oppression
- Experiences of Trans Unitarian Universalists Report on the 2018 Survey of Trans UUs
- White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism (DiAngelo 2018)
- Blindspot: Hidden Biases of Good People (Banaji & Greenwald 2013)
- The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness (Alexander 2010)
- Internalized Oppression: The Psychology of Marginalized Groups (David 2014)
- Levels of Racism: A Theoretic Framework and a Gardener’s Tale (Jones 2000)
- White Fragility (DiAngelo 2011)
- White People are Still Raised to Be Racially Illiterate (DiAngelo 2018)
- For White Women Learning Calculus in a School Building On Fire (Harvey 2018)
- Intent vs. Impact: The Road to Hell is Paved with Good Intentions (Brita 2018)
- The Problem Woman of Color in the Workplace (Safehouse Progressive Alliance for Nonviolence)
- The Backwards Brain Bicycle
- 6 Forms of Ableism We Need to Retire Immediately (Zeilinger 2015)
- Racism and Ableism (Kres-Nash 2016)
- Ableism (National Conference for Community and Justice)
- Intersectionality 101: Why “We’re Focusing on Women” Doesn’t Work for Diversity and Inclusion (Kim 2018)
- Everyone’s a Little Bit Racist, and Sexist, and … (Hanna-Wayne 2018, here)
- The End Of Culture Fit (Schmidt 2017, here)
- Building a Multi-Ethnic, Inclusive and Antiracist Organization: Tools for Liberation Packet for Anti-Racist Activists, Allies, and Critical Thinkers (Safehouse Progressive Alliance for Nonviolence 2005)
- Racial Equity Toolkit to Assess Policies, Initiatives, Programs, and Budget Issues (City of Seattle Race and Social Justice Initiative)
- Centering: Navigating Race, Authenticity, and Power in Ministry (Rahnema [editor] 2017)
- Discussion Guide for Centering (Hauser & Forsyth-Vail 2017)
- The Institutional Change Blog
- Findings Related to the Southern Regional Lead Hiring Decision (Commission on Institutional Change, Spring 2017)